Saturday, August 24, 2019

writing an open access book

information-consciousness-reality

When I first started to structure the ideas leading to this book in 2011, it was clear to me that "information is physical". However, the link between information and consciousness was only a hunch then. Indeed, I only learned about Integrated Information Theory and panpsychism in 2016.


I now only realize that I missed a whole branch of reality relating to information. Ideally, the book's name should be "Information, Consciousness, Life, and Reality", and it should include the recently discovered computational foundation of biological life. A new understanding of thermodynamics and complex systems appears to make life (i.e., metabolic pathways optimizing dissipation) an inevitable phenomenon throughout the cosmos.

The Support

As I outline in the acknowledgments, I am lucky to have been supported by many kind people on this journey. It was always interesting to experience the synchronicities during the creation of the book (see Page 617) when often, out of seemingly nowhere, a new piece of the puzzle was revealed during a conversation. It was also clear from the very beginning, that the book had to be available for free. This not only meant that all the hours working on the manuscript were motivated by passion but that I had to pay the publisher upfront for a book that would never generate revenues. Moreover, in six years I bought close to 300 books for research.

Again, I was lucky that many friends helped mitigate part of the financial burden. Specifically, a foundation in Zurich co-financed me and I set up a crowdfunding campaign. Here I would like to express my deep gratitude to everyone who supported me:)

In detail, thank you:
Adrian
Alexander
Alexandra
Amba
Anatol
Anton
Aurelio
Chris
Christina
Claudia
Dave
Dino
Dominic
Edith
Eliane
Emanuel
Felix
Franz
Gian
Gian-Reto
Gonzalo
Imre
Jakob
Jelena
Jürg
Kerstin
Khaled
Ladina
Madlaina
Mana
Manuel
Marina
Markus
Martin
Mathias
Michel
Michael
Pedro
Peter
Priska
Rahel
Ralf
Sabine
Sarah
Sebi
Sylvia
Thomas
Veronika
Vladimir

You all rock!


No comments: